Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chocolate in the Time of Recession: The Impromptu Fondue

I'm not eating as much chocolate this week (although I do have a few NEW bars I still need to try), so I decided to do something different and explore chocolate options in case the recession worsens and damages my chocolate budget.

I make it a point to eat fruit everyday. Occasionally I accompany it with Nutella. Thus far, I have only tried spreading Nutella on apple slices and making banana slices + Nutella toast (the latter being the most orgasmic toast I've ever consumed. More about this another time.).

Last night I had grapes.

And I decided to dip them into the jar of nutella. Thus, creating an impromptu fondue party for one.

Verdict: Nutella (at room temperature) isn't as great as melted chocolate as far as covering things go. The consistency is too thick so dipping was difficult (I had to fish a few runaway grapes out of the jar) and getting an even coat on the grape was impossible. Also, the nutella would separate from the grape in the mouth after a very little chewing. The grape+nutella taste combination was alright, though their individual flavors remained intact instead of integrating to become fruity chocolate deliciousness. In short, decent taste, but suboptimal texture.

5 comments:

  1. ... this is your second jar of nutella, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, only my first, believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... how do you still have so much left?

    *looks into nearly empty first nutella jar*

    *looks up to heaven*

    why oh why am i such a glutton?

    *watches sadly as chocolate covered soul wafts past purgatory and down to circle three...*

    ReplyDelete
  4. there was a 2 week period in which i just ate cadbury's, so i didn't have the appetite for nutella. lols.

    ReplyDelete
  5. right, but - wait, what? eating chocolate detracts from your nutella appetite?

    i had that 3 week period where i ate chocolate like, pretty much every day, and for whatever reason, now i'm scraping the bottom of the first.

    chocolate bar recessions must have made me hit the bottle pretty hard...

    ReplyDelete