Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Chocolate House: Cappuccino Bar

I just remembered I had this bar whilst cleaning my desk drawers and I figured I should treat myself to real chocolate (Orange-flavored Kit Kat bars don't count. More about this at a much later date.) I bought this little number at the farmers' market in Brecon, Wales. What a lovely farmers' market that was -- so many pretty and unique desserts, and of course, the ciders! But I digress...

This little bar has restored my faith in excellent chocolate and also proves that homemade chocolate will always have a more natural taste to them than, well, mass-produced chocolate.

I feel like this bar has a personality that mass-produced chocolate simply do not. For one thing, I bought her (I've totally decided it's a she) from a farmers' market, which in itself is quite telling of how we spent most of our weekend in south Wales -- eating. And for a good reason -- the Welsh do place importance on food and at least try to have some semblance of a cuisine (unlike the English).

Additionally, when I was breaking off the first chunk of this bar, I noticed she required more force and finally cracked with a satisfying thwap. Clearly, she's meant to be taken seriously. After breaking super pliant Kit-Kats all week, I knew I was in for a treat.

I took a bite into a chunk. The coffee flavor just took over. Wow, what a strong presence. This is not a wimpy bar with just a whiff of coffee. Far from it, the coffee dominates the chocolate. Also, this bar was not particularly sweet, which is nice because added sugar is a killjoy. Since it wasn't so sweet, I wondered if it was dark chocolate, but research on The Chocolate House's website shows that it is just milk chocolate. Wow, I have realized your potential, milk chocolate.

This is a bar that I'll keep stashed away and consume only when I can fully appreciate it. She's not a whore like those Cadbury bars, consumed without much thought. She's so classy and deserves to be treated as such.

1 comment:

  1. tis pity i treated my "the chocolate house" bar like a ho.

    tis pity, because she was certainly a cherry-liquor-filled lady.

    ReplyDelete